As part of the St. Petersburg International Media Forum, the Global Russians program will present the 50 best domestic short films produced between 2011 and 2014, including featurettes, documentaries and animated films.
The Global Russians project was created in 2011 at the initiative of the ROSKINO company. The author and curator of Global Russians is the head of ROSKINO, Ekaterina Mtsitouridze. Over the years, industry professionals such as screenwriter and director Alexey Chupov, producer Victor Prokofiev and producer Ivan Lopatin have served as guest curators for the competitive selection of the short films. The project curator for 2014 will be Dmitry Yakunin, director of the Youth Center of the Russian Cinematographers' Union.
Each year, the collection of short films that end up debuting at the Global Russians project include works by students and graduates of Russia's top film schools - VGIK (the Gerasimov Institute of Cinematography), VKSP (Higher Courses for Scriptwriters and Directors), the St. Petersburg State University of Film and Television, and others. The films which make it into the program are transferred to DVD and continue on to participate in the Short Film Corner of the Cannes International Film Market. The directors are invited by ROSKINO to participate with full accreditation in the Cannes International Film Festival, and they also get the chance to present their works at the Russia Pavilion to top producers, critics, journalists, sales agents, and selectors for international festivals.
“Global Russians showcases all of the most relevant new works from the Russian short film community. Over the past few years, directors of “shorties” have become full-fledged participants in the domestic and international film industry. Judging from the past experience of Global Russians' presentations at the Cannes film festival, which have taken place at the Russia Pavilion, there is a wide interest among producers and film festival selectors from other countries in young filmmakers. I’m pleased that we have the opportunity to present a new and substantial selection of short films at the Media Forum in St. Petersburg, in the electronic library, where anyone who is interested, guests and film market participants alike, can familiarize themselves with the films of our best directors,” says SPIMF general producer Ekaterina Mtsitouridze. Most of the films selected for Global Russians have gone on to become laureates of the Cinéfondation and Court Métrage at the Festival de Cannes, the Moscow International Film Festival, the Sundance Film Festival, the Film Festival Cottbus, the Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival, the Message to Man International Film Festival, IDFA (the International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam), the Annecy International Animation Film Festival and many others. The selection of short films includes F5 by Timofey Zhalnin, The Road to . . . by Taisiya Igumentseva, The Norm of Life by Yevgeny Byalo, The Inspection by Gala Sukhanova, The Last One by Sergey Pikalov, and Shipovnik (the Rose) by Nigina Saifullaeva.
“Our partnership with ROSKINO began with the pitching of newcomers to the film scene, when Ekaterina Mtsitouridze joined our project’s jury,” says project curator Dmitry Yakunin, “and continued on successfully in Cannes, where Global Russians first presented its programs at the Russia Pavilion. It’s a great pleasure to continue this partnership in support of young Russian filmmakers within the framework of the St. Petersburg International Media Forum. Our program brings together several dozen of the best short films made over the past five years by representatives of the “new Russian wave,” and includes featurettes, documentaries, and animated films. Most of these films have been received very positively by the professional community, and have already won prizes in various Russian and international competitions. Short film directors are the future of our film industry, and many of them - Zhora Kryzhovnikov, Mikhail Mestetsky, Nigina Saifullaeva, and many others - have already begun working on feature-length pictures. All the more interesting to see how they began their careers in film, and to be able to view the wonderful works created by their young colleagues,” Mr. Yakunin emphasized.
A special electronic catalog of the films in the program will be issued for Russian and foreign distributors, producers, festival selectors and journalists. The creation of such a catalog will make it possible to actively promote Russian short films, discover new names, and call the attention of Russian and foreign producers to up-and-coming directors.
In addition, anyone who is interested in viewing a particular film can do so at the electronic library in the Global Russians stand, which will operate for the duration of the Forum.
Preliminary list of films in the Global Russians program at the St. Petersburg International Media Forum:
1. «F5», Timofey Zhalnin
2. «Road to…», Taisia Igumentseva
3. «Tale about Eugenia and Me», Anton Bilzho
4. «Difference It Makes», Ksenia Shutochkina
5. «Kardo», Svetlana Sigalaeva
6. «He Who Invented All This», Yuri Chirkovsky
7. «The Norm of Life», Evgeny Byalo
8. «Dead Traffic», Roman Safin
9.«Easter», Igor Olshansky
10. «The Log», Alexey Romanov
11. «Rock», Ivan Shakhnazarov
12.«Fedra», Evgeny Baranov
13. «Snap», Vadim Vatagin
14. «Chud», Guzel Ilyasova
15. «Through Moscow», Ruslan Lagutin
16. «Animator», Konstantin Kolesov
17. «Alkhas and Juliet», Ashot Keschyan
18. «Second Wind», Sergey Tsyss
19. «Victory Day», Igor Grinyakin
20. «Enmesh», Aynur Askarov
21. «Elven Castle» , Rustam Ilyasov
22. «Sounds», Vasily Buylov
23. «Zombokalipsis», Vyacheslav Kirillov
24. ««How Gonsuke Was Chasing the Fox», Victoria Spiryagina
25. «Kvagga», Tatyana and Olga Poliektovy
26. «Boys», Ilya Kazankov
27. «My Strange Grandfather», Dina Velikovskaya
28. «Sea of Desires», Shota Gamisonia
29. «Insignificant details of the accidental episode», Mikhail Mestetskiy
30.«Jump», Taisia Reshetnikova
31. «On the Wing», Vera Myakisheva
32. «The Song of the Mechanical Fish», Philipp Yuryev
33. «Pishto Goes Away», Sonya Kendel
34. «Sonuncu», Sergey Pikalov
35. «As if Waiting for a Bus» Ivan I. Tverdovsky 36. «Savior», Roman Artemyev
37. «Shoes», Konstantin Fam
38. «Ushelets», Ilya Chizhikov
39. «Cold», Gleb Ross
40. «Chippendale», Kamilla Safina
41. «Dog Rose», Nigina Sayfullaeva
42. «Tonya cries on the lover's bridge», Anton Kolomeyets
43. «Of Men», Evgeny Morozov
44. «Jazz Etude», Elena Gladkova
45. «Lonely Souls of Microbes», Mikhail Romanovsky
46. «Freemasons», Darya Vlasova
47. «Smoke in a field», Julia Furmanova
48. 6-23, Kirill Pletnev
49. «Given in Exchange», Sofia Geveyler
50. «Check», Gala Sukhanova